  From: Holly Chase
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 5:14 PM
  Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Possible silverfish/moth infestation in museum-HELP!!!!

  Dear fellow professionals,

  My name is Holly Chase and I am the Museum Coordinator (and collections manager/registrar) for a small, private Chinese art museum located in Southern California. I hope that you can help me with some concerns regarding a possible silverfish/moth infestation.

  Last week I had found a large, healthy silverfish crawling on the fabric of one of our display cases that currently houses 17th -19th Century silk dragon robes. In a few weeks, we are scheduled to install several 18-20th century scroll paintings, which are very vulnerable to silverfish, in that same case. What's more, about 3 weeks ago I had found in a nearby case two dead web clothing moths. I have since installed a moth pheromone lure in one case and a few silverfish food baits in sticky traps in the other. As of yet, I have not found other signs of infestation- yet I am still not fully convinced that we are safe. Furthermore, at the end of this month the silk robes will be taken down from display and placed into storage where we have several delicate Chinese scroll paintings housed. I am clearly worried about the possibility of an infestation and moving infested artworks into a new area.

  I had contacted one paper conservator who advised against fumigating the robes explaining that fumigation tends to leave a chemical residue on fabrics. Instead, she suggested finding an "anoxia treatment chamber" but didn't know of anyone in the area who has one.

  Do any of you know of places in Southern California that have anoxia treatment chambers? I would also like to know if you have any textile conservators in the area whom you could recommend. I am thinking that we may have to hire a conservator to come out to supervise the treatment.

  I am also worried that we need to treat the tall display cases before we install any new exhibitions. Unfortunately, these cases are built into the walls of our gallery and cannot be removed. They are not air tight either as there are gaps between the sheets of glass. Do you have any advice as to how we should treat the cases? Is this something that a conservator should and could oversee?

  Does finding one silverfish and a few dead moths justify treating all the artwork and cases in that gallery?

  Any assistance or advice you can send me would be greatly appreciated. I am sincerely in a bit of a panic for having found these pests and want to make sure we act as quickly as possible.

  Sincerely,

  Holly Chase

  Holly C. Chase

  Museum Coordinator (collections manager/registrar)

  Phone: (310) 222-9219

  Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]