Dear Ken:

My institution has not broached this subject yet either. But your question jumped out at me because I have been noticing more and more environmental literature broaching the subject of LED lightbulbs as a better alternative. For example:

http://www.energy-daily.com/reports/EcoLEDs_Announces_Brightest_Commercial_LED_Light_Bulb_Yet_999.html

Their benefit for Museums (other than the environmentally friendly upsides) is that LED bulbs operate at lower temperatures. Also, LED lights emit no damaging ultraviolet so they will not cause fading and aging of artwork or other sensitive materials. As we all know, fluorescent and halogen lights can cause significant damage over time. (Also, no mercury, as in compact fluorescents!)

I think the first mentiopn of them I saw was in ReadyMade magazine, and that prompted me to do some research. I believe it's worth looking into for use in Museums, writing and publishing literature, and perhaps changing the standards.

Great topic!
Best,
Natalia

Natalia Fidelholtz