I'm riding the fence on this one.  My initial reaction was shock and aghast that museum employees--generally understaffed and regularly underpaid--are compelled to have to PAY for the privilege of retaining their job.  It would seem to me that, whatever the sum required, it should be a write-off, but a smart museum would grant membership as a form of compensation without the requirement of having to pay for it and that, if there are stair steps in membership levels, the promo level should be given as a form of reward for (earned) quality performance, something the staff could strive for just as they might strive for a raise.  It may, in fact, be easier to give the higher level membership when money is hard to dig up.

  Giving the membership can be a source of pride, and employees who are given memberships could, conceivably get an increase in their level of membership based on the number(s) of new members they bring to the fold.  It could be a great way to increase the museum's overall membership base because each person has something in it for them.  These shouldn't be lifetime membership step-ups but available on a one-year basis and potentially renewable if the employee gives the same level of service it was required to get them in the first place.

  But the other side of me says that there are a number of jobs that require employees to pay in in order to work there.  How about the ones with 401Ks where the employer announces they will automatically be required to kick in 3%?  Employees where their field is unionized are required to pay union dues in order to keep their job (albeit with perhaps more protections than a membership might entail, but that's debatable).  Employees who have to have chic and fashionable wardrobes and/or to dress or look a certain way are also required to "pay" to keep their jobs.  So, I don't know if the process is totally unethical, but . . .

  If it were me, I still think you should be automatically enrolled in basic membership from the day you start.  It's your work home, and it's a part of your investment.  It says you belong there.

Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Another consideration regarding membership as a
condition of employment is the potential for divided
loyalties or conflict of interest that can occur.
Employee members will find themselves in an awkward
position if there is a difference of opinion between
museum management or the governing board and that of
the membership group.

The Friends organization I mentioned in an earlier
post had some sharp differences with museum
management. These generally occured when the Friends
felt county government was requiring the museum to
achieve objectives that the Friends did not feel were
the highest priority at a cost to objectives the
Friends supported.

In retrospect, even encouraging (let alone requiring)
employees join the Friends complicated a situation
that was already difficult for everyone involved.

Judy Turner
Whitefish Bay, WI

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/