Public domain means just that.  The art is the public’s and there is no legal basis for you to charge a usage fee.  At least they have credited your institution, which they have no legal responsibility to do.

Sincerely,

Robert Panzer

Executive Director

VAGA (Visual Artists and Galleries Association, Inc.)

350 Fifth Avenue

Suite 2820

New York, NY  10118

Tel: 212 736 6666