Thanks again to all who offered great input on putting a positive spin on
communicating to students "why we don't touch."

Several colleagues have commented off list about the length of the
PowerPoint presentation (I mentioned that the controversial "museum rules"
slide was the last slide in an 80 slide presentation- I just discovered it
is now 66 because we've combined some images). In any case, it is a long
presentation for a third grade audience, but I thought it worth explaining
our process on list since others might have had the same question/concern.

The project is really not a field trip orientation but is a curriculum
development project created in partnership with the area school district. I
was just trying to be brief in my description with the first posting. The
presentation uses the historic district surrounding our sites to teach
community history. We've had a team of teachers and school administrators
involved on our committee from the beginning and have tested the
presentation in the classroom. I'm very proud of the results since it has
been a true collaboration and that has made a huge difference. One of our
final steps will be to do some additional testing with students, since the
program has evolved considerably since we last tested it. Evaluation forms
will be included in the teacher's packet that will accompany the
presentation to promote ongoing dialogue.

In terms of the length, our teachers plan to use this presentation flexibly.
It is designed so that it can be used in two or three shorter segments if a
teacher prefers. Surprisingly, the teachers we are working with haven't been
concerned about the length.

If anyone is working on or plans to undertake a similar project and would
like to compare notes, let me know!

Regards,

Laurel