Hello list,

I'm fairly new to the list (and the museum field) and I've enjoyed reading some of the posts here. I have recently learned quite a bit about online programs (I work at the University of Phoenix) and it got me wondering about online degrees for museum studies. It seems that aside from the internship, a museum studies degree could be easily done online. What are your opinions on this? I live in an area where there is only one museum program but the particular program doesn't interest me and it would be really nice to do one online since I can't afford to move right now (I'm sure there are others in similar situations that would like to go back to school but can't afford it right now?). I imagine this would also be useful to those that don't live near a school with a museum studies program to even consider. Do you think an online museum studies degree would be socially accepted within the field? I know there are adverts for individual online classes, so why not a degree? I've only come across 2 programs so far, one in England and one in Oklahoma.

Just curious as to the thoughts of the list on this matter.

Molly
recent history graduate and aspiring museum professional