I just received my certificate in Museum Studies as I was completing the coursework for my Bachelors in Anthropology, and it is through this major that I was introduced to the subject at all.  What I have found is that the coursework you take should prepare you adequately for understanding museums, their history, and the role of professionals within from a book-smart standpoint.  For my certificate, as is typical, I also had to complete an internship in a museum in order to gain the practical skills that go along with the environment.  With that complete I went on to accept volunteer exhibit design and installation jobs at several local museums which I believe has made me just that much more prepared now that I am seeking professional employment.  The bottom line is that in my very first museum studies course I felt like everyone else was so much more knowledgeable and prepared than I was but it turned out that it all came from them simply having taken one more course than I had.

Bryanna Gilbeau

whanable <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
As background for a directed studies course, I am trying to gain an idea of
how many people taking their first museum studies course (Introduction to
Museum Studies or the equivalent) have prior know of how historic sites and/or
museums operate. That is, how many have any experience beyond family visits or
school tours to historic sites and museums. I am interested in perceptions of
both those teaching such courses and those taking them.

Thanks,

Bill Hanable

The fish are biting.
Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing. ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: