I think such courses are a must and I wish more people offered them.  At my institution only handful of trips were approved for professional development and sadly it's not enough.  I am scrounging for ways to make sure my staff is upgrading and updating their skill sets. It's how I justify giving my staff new responsibilities which later on leads to compensation for a job well done.

 We may only have a small number of the types of collections you mention, but often because of their small number those collections can be made a lower priority.

Carrie Snow
Museum of Church History and Art
Salt Lake City

>>> "Richardson, Lindsey" <[log in to unmask]> 03/06/07 8:27 AM >>>
Yes, I think so.  Although many of us who work in museums where such
courses would be useful don't work with collections that are easily
divided into the categories you list.  Our collections are primarily
cultural, although we do have a natural history collection of about 3500
items.  An online course that would help me manage and use our natural
history items would be assessed by me and by my supervisor for its
applicability to all of the natural history collection, not just the
minerals, or the birds, etc.

Lindsey Richardson
Curator of Collections
Boston Children's Museum