From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yearous, Jenny Dee
Sent:
Thursday, February 01, 2007 1:43 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MUSEUM-L] Occupational Guidance

As frequent mentor of interns I will offer you the advice that I have given all my interns over the years. So far they are batting 1000 at getting jobs.... Think small. Be willing to relocate to a small community and work at a small museum. You might be a part of a staff of 1 or maybe 2 or 3 (paid people that is) and you will probably have dozens of elderly volunteers, a slightly cantankerous board and will have to wear many hats from chief fund raiser to bathroom cleaner, exhibit team (of one) to curator, registrar and collections manger. But, you will gain wonderful experience that will then take you to where ever you want to go, in time. Be willing to stay for 2-3 years. And, who knows, you may find that this is your ideal job. Also another side benefit, it is usually cheaper to live in the small towns so the small salary goes a little father.

Jenny Yearous

Curator of Collections Management

State Historical Society of North Dakota

(see I speak from experience, and I love it here)