The San Mateo County History Museum recently opened a new permanent exhibit about the immigrant experience in our area.  One of the proposed additions to the exhibit is a kiosk where visitors can make short video recordings (under a minute) about their own immigrant experience.  According to the proposed plan, these recordings would be auto archived and randomly displayed on a monitor within the exhibit.  Visitors would also be able to email these short clips to family and friends.  There have been some staff concerns about the project:

Inappropriate messages:  The auto archive and random display function was proposed to keep to a minimum the amount of staff time needed to maintain the kiosk.  However, there is some concern that messages inappropriate for our audience would be displayed in the exhibit.  Also, there is some concern that if those messages are emailed from our system, it would appear that we condone these messages.

Technology:  How well do these systems work?  How often do they break down?

Sincerely,

Carmen Blair

Carmen J. Blair

Deputy Director