From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeff Bowen
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 11:12 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Donation Box - Pros and Cons?

Greetings fellow Listserv readers,

Our staff is having a lively debate regarding donation boxes.  We currently do not have one in our museum, but are considering putting one out.  What are the pros and cons of having a donation box?  Some of our concerns are:

  • Will are visitors feel like we are “nickel and dime-ing” them?
  • Will the donation box give an excuse for our higher-end donors to give an anonymous gift, and result in a lower donation?
  • How many one-time visitors will actually contribute on top of the admission cost?

We consider our Whaling Museum a medium-sized museum with about 60,000 annual visitors, the majority of those visits occurring in the summer months.  We have a membership base of about 2,800.  Our family membership sells for $125 (with a discount for year-round island residents) and admission to the museum is $15.  As a trial, we are considering putting the donation box in our discovery room with signage telling the visitor that donations will go towards the cost of children’s costumes and hands-on exhibits.

-Jeff

P.S.  I searched the archive and saw that a similar topic was discussed a couple of years ago, but was focused on where to put the donation box, not the pros and cons of donation boxes.

Jeffrey S. Bowen

Assistant Membership Coordinator

Nantucket Historical Association
P.O. Box 1016
Nantucket, MA 02554
Phone: 508-228-1894 x 116
Fax: 508-228-5618
Email:
www.nha.org

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: