Our site is a good example of this quandary.  They had ragtime experts, but not historians or administrators running the place and it almost floundered.  My experience was in operations and I had  researched enough of the background of Ragtime and their collections to prove that I could learn it, but that they needed a historian/administrator to get the site back up and running.

Use examples like this (others are around) to say to the interview panel why experience is better than content.  We are trained historians, we can get the content with the skills we have!

Victoria Love, Site Administrator
Scott Joplin House State Historic Site, DNR
2658 Delmar Blvd.
St. Louis, MO  63103
314-340-5790      314-340-5793 (fax)
http://www.mostateparks.com/scottjoplin.htm

Mark your Calendar!
Celebrating 15 years of keeping Ragtime alive!!
Saturday, February 10 - Rosebud Ball featuring The Skirtlifters - dance lessons begin at 6pm and concert at 7pm.
Sunday, February 11– Rags to Rap – Author and Entertainer, Sule Greg Wilson, takes you on a musical exploration  of the importance of the tradition of syncopation from Ragtime to current music trends.  This interactive program will get your toes tapping and hands drumming.  (with support from the Regional Arts Commission)
Sunday, February 25—”City of Gabriels: The History of Jazz in St. Louis” Author Dr. Dennis Owsley presents St .Louis jazz history from 1895-1973.  He will be signing copies of his new book of the same title.   Performance by Reggie and Mardra Thomas. (with support from Regional Arts Commission)

----- Forwarded by Vicky Love/DSP/MODNR on 02/05/2007 10:58 AM -----
"MUSEUM-L automatic digest system" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Museum discussion list" <[log in to unmask]>

02/04/2007 11:00 PM

Please respond to
"Museum discussion list" <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
MUSEUM-L Digest - 3 Feb 2007 to 4 Feb 2007 (#2007-34)

Topics of the day:

 1. CFP: International Cultural Heritage Informatics Meeting
 2. There is no silver bullet; there are (almost) no jobs
 3. Museum Directors