Emily, what's your specialty?
Looking for jobs all over your area...well...that may be part of the
problem.  You may have to go elsewhere.  And elsewhere could be far away.
I don't think there is a silver bullet.  I think it's a combination of
academics, experience and selling yourself.  I've been very lucky, and I'm
not sure why, as I wasn't the greatest scholar, quite frankly. I didn't go
to a big time program, or a school that would give me all the right
credentials. I don't like professional jargon and don't know how to use it
(even after 18 years).
But...what I have is almost boundless enthusiasm for what I do...anywhere
I've worked, I loved...and that shows.  I didn't set out for jobs in big
institutions, or with the government, or that had some sort of cachet, and
that may have helped also.  Dues have been paid.  I am still not with a big
institution, and that's the way I want it...I think I can help make a
difference where I am.
Someone commented about this being a profession of rich kids...I guess it
helps, sure, but I wasn't that, and now I'm a single mom.  Because I am a
sentimental sod, I'll say this:  I would never, ever do anything else...I
find myself to be extraordinarily fortunate everyday I come to this
institution, and well, my kids can take care of me when I'm old.  As long as
they don't work for museums...
What I want to tell you is that there's a lot to this.  Folks out there can
argue with me, but it's not a field like anything in the corporate world.
Once again...I am sickeningly sappy...but it has a heart and soul.
Candace Perry