Subject: RE: Credit Lines for Objects Purchased with Deaccessioned Funds

This is just me, but I am thinking that you shouldn’t attach a name from a deaccessioned object to a newly acquired object . . .

A couple issues:

  • I would think that the funds from a deaccessioned object kind of go into a general ‘pot’ of lots of other funds and that is kind of the end of it, other than maintaining the records.
  • Generally deaccessions are done quietly, donors are not informed – it sends a very confusing message to the uninformed
  • What do you do if it took the funds from several deaccessioned objects to purchase one new one?  Would you have to list them all?  And conversely, what if one deaccessioned object paid for dozens and dozens of new objects – is that name attached to all of them?

If there MUST be a credit line, I think I would want it something innocuous like “Purchased from the Collections Acquisition Fund” Maybe somewhere else there can be an explanation of the sources of $ in that fund . . .

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Beth Parker Miller
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

For those of you who reference or otherwise attach the credit line of a deaccessioned and sold object to the object or objects acquired with the funds realized from the sale:  What language do you use in your credit line?  Do you use the original credit line with added verbage?  and what is that verbage?  Thank you.

Beth Parker Miller

Associate Registrar/Permanent Collections

Winterthur Museum & Country Estate

Winterthur, DE   19735

302-888-4988

302-888-4953 (fax)