lol not only can they forget exactly where it had been buried...they can forget that they ever did one. Is what happened with my high school history class. 11th? 12th? grade (1979 or 80). I, for one had forgotten (though over the years something would come up to remind me of it).

Back in 2000ish...drove by my old high school and saw that construction was underway for a new school in the lot adjacent to ours. I emailed my former history teacher and asked if he recalled where we buried the time capsule. He had completely forgotten about it and I was the 1st who had ever mentioned it. It took him a bit to find any documentation from it...we had done this with another class and the other teacher had the information. Last I heard - he assured me that it hadn't been buried in that lot.

I've lost contact with the teacher a few years back so I'm glad this topic came up. He had told me he was due to retire, but I should still have his home phone and address somewhere. We were to dig up the capsule after 25 years and it's been more than that now.

I recall some of what I placed in the capsule..some sheetmusic (Billy Joel and Elton John). And my sister's Peter Frampton 'Comes Alive' album - in retaliation for when she 'took' my Neil Young album and returned it to me with 'Nadia's Theme' instead.

Some of these things I would think (like records) aren't going to be preserved well? Even in an air-tight and leak-proof container, there are still going to be the issues with temperature.

Oh and for locating your time capsule...rather than a metal detector and digging up the lawn there...perhaps ground-penetrating radar may be a better alternative? that way you could locate it, document it's location without having to dig anything up.

Pam