Lori,

I would imagine the gatorfoam is 1/4" thick.  If so, your composite group would be 7 1/2 inches thick.  My first thought would be to make two panels of 1/8" baltic birch plywood, which comes in 5'x5' sheets.  Glue 1x3 clear pine around the exterior perimeter to stiffen them.  A central strip may be needed as well.  With these placed on either side of the panels, the composite thickness will be 9 1/4 inches (7 1/2 + 3/4 + 3/4 + 1/8 + 1/8).  You can then use more baltic birch cut to appropriate width on the four narrow sides, screwed into the 1x3 pine of the large panels.  This should not add all that much weight, and will protect from bumps and abrasions.  If more strength is needed, you can use 1x10 clear pine instead of the baltic birch for the narrow sides.  Of course, be sure that the back side of the gatorfoam panels are against the plywood to minimize damage to the images.  Good luck!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)