From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Simpson, Monica
Sent: Thursday, January 11, 2007 8:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Exhibition case construction materials

Is anyone up-to-date on the best paint to use for exhibition cases?
The little bit of research that I have done indicates that low-VOC or
no-VOC latex paints are acceptable/desirable.   Does anyone know what
the current thinking on this is?   I'm not building the space shuttle,
but would like to know that we are doing what is best for our objects.
The products that have been suggested are Sherwin Williams Harmony and
Benjamin Moore EcoSpec.   Pittsburgh makes a VOC-free latex called Pure
Performance.  Pure Performance and Harmony are marketed as mildew
resistant, which makes me wonder if there's an antimicrobial additive,
and if so, if that's a problem.  Any practical help on this would be
much appreciated.

Monica Simpson
Permanent Collection Registrar
Memorial Art Gallery