I set out 4 spring traps and 4 containers of Decon in the museum the day before yesterday. It seems as though the chipmunks got to the traps before the mice. Bait (a tiny piece of bread w/peanutbutter) was taken from one trap...the spring couldn't release because the trap was pushed into the small space under a door, which held the release down.

Another trap was upside down and missing the bait (spring didn't release), and another -the spring didn't release and the bait was missing too. The remaining trap still had bait but had been moved around.

All this is indicative of chipmunk activity and the mice are not yet having a chance to get near the traps. I set up 2 more spring traps and 3 water bucket traps today. Most all the Decon is gone (either eaten or stored). I still don't think these measures are aggressive enough - so next week I'll set out more traps.

Does anyone have any other ideas for trapping chipmunks? I learned about the water bucket traps from employees at the hardware store.

Pam

Pamela Silvestri, Volunteer Assistant Museum Director
Northeast States Civilian Conservation Corps Museum
Shenipsit State Forest Headquarters
166 Chestnut Hill Road
Stafford Springs, Connecticut 06076
Telephone: (860) 684-3430