Laurie --

I don't clain it to be anything but ordinary -- but if your lookinf for examples of collections policies you can find ours posted online -

Aurora Regional Fire Museum's Collection Policy
http://www.auroraregionalfiremuseum.org/museum/policy.htm

As for your quesitons about boards and advisory boards, I suggest you peruse these two FANTASTIC websites --

The Nonprofit FAQ
http://www.nonprofits.org

Free Management Library
http://www.managementhelp.org

Each of these sites has various sections and subsections that link to other pages (and other websites) that explore thousands of topics relating to nonprofit organizations.  You will see it is easy to get lost exploring on these sites for hours.

Good luck.

- David -
David Lewis, curator