I hope you all are doing well, had nice holidays, and have a happy new year.  I have a question for you … a local potter has a clay (he says most likely pre Civil War – Civil War 1850s – 1880s) pipe bowl and would like to know what material the stem would have been.  The hole on the bowl is 1/4” – 5/16” in diameter.  All help would be greatly appreciated.  THANKS!

Take care,

Jeff

Jeffery J. Pruett

Gaston County Museum of Art & History