Hello,
I am in a bit of a bind with a pest control issue and could use some advice.

The organization I work for is planning to fumigate a historic building (c. 1780) that is infested with powder post beetles and old barn borers, silver fish, ants and rodents. This building is currently being operated as a maritime museum and has a plethora of artifacts ranging from ceramic objects to paper to wood--you name it, its in this building.  Due to circumstances beyond my control, the building cannot be emptied of its contents prior to the fumigation process and fumigation will take place, regardless of my opinion.

They have received a quote from a company that plans to hand spray using Timbor for the powder post beetles, old barn borers, silver fish and ants, while covering the artifact cases and other objects with poly tarps. They will treat rodents separately.

Several issues come to mind with this scenario---what about the objects in the cases that are already infested with pests. Won't covering with a tarp prevent any existing bugs from being eradicated? On the flip side, if we don't cover the objects, what is the long lasting damage done to the objects? We can remove a handful of important things if necessary, but as I mentioned above, emptying the contents of the building completely is not an option. This building is only open seasonally and the fumigation is to take place very soon with the building not opening until the summer.

Any thoughts? Advice? I appreciate any and all responses.
Thanks in advance.