For the past two years we have held our "Beyond the Gravestone" program in the community cemetery next to our plantation.  In it we focus on the meanings behind the symbols on the gravemarkers.  We also discuss the history of graveyards as they evolved from family plots to larger community cemeteries, as this one did.  One of the really neat things we discuss is how large cemeteries were used as a sort of tourist attraction during the late 19th century and that what our visitors are doing is very much in line with what a visitor to those cemeteries would have done.  Our visitors have always had favorable remarks.  A plus for them is that they also get to see the burial site of our plantations owner, James Henry Hammond, and his family.  This program is held in Oct. as most peoples thoughts turn to cemeteries that time of year.  We try to show cemeteries in a different light than most people are use to.

Trampas Alderman
Park Interpreter
Redcliffe Plantation SHS
181 Redcliffe Rd.
Beech Island, SC 29842

Laura Wheaton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I'm curious about what you all think about this type of program. What purpose
does it serve? Are they worthwhile, and why? What challenges do you face in
implementation? Do all museums want to put one on? why or why not?