Hi Anne,

Our museum enlisted the assistance of high school students through the schools community service program. We met with the advisor and participating students to develop viable projects for the Summer/Fall season. In our case, the students were available a few times each week (in pairs and at 4/hours each day) to greet visitor's to the museum. At these times where there were no visitor's to the museum, the students were given a list of tasks (cleaning, filing, etc) that they could attend to.

We also had the students assist our staff with public programs. For one that we did, a few students took turns as costumed character's and greeting/providing information to program participants. Another program was a booth/fundraiser at the Eastern State's Exposition. The students received free admission to the 'Big E' and free parking so they also had the opportunity to spend time at the fair during their breaks. I was a little nervous about this so I had some ground rules for them when they went off on their own (they had to tell me where they were going, had to be accompanied by another student or staff and had to return at a specific time, etc).

All the activities that the students participated in were fun activities with an educational component. The community advisor kept track of the student's hours and allocated the time each student could volunteer (I can't recall if volunteer work hours needed to comply with child labor laws - I believe so and the advisor kept track of this).

By utilizing the community service program, we were relieved of some of the oversight issues. For developing your own internship program for high school students you should contact your State's Labor Dept.

Pam