I think if you have something like a portable panic button it should be a blanket policy that everyone is required to carry it when they are alone (regardless of age or sex).  After all there are other scenarios where a panic button might be useful.  For instance, what if the museum person is on the grounds with a tour and a patron starts to convulse and collapses.  It might be better for the museum person to stay with the patient and use the panic button to call for help.  Or what if the museum person has their own medical emergency?

I think it only makes sense that all security and safety procedures be applied to all personal equally.  After all, if you do not apply these procedures equally, I would think, that you might be opening your institution up for a law suit if something everywhere to happen to an employee (i.e. a male employee suffers an attack when he was alone with a tour because the policy wasn't enforced on all employees).

Heather Marie Wells
Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
Springdale, Arkansas

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.  Get a free 90-day trial! Learn more! ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: