As a museum educator at a medical museum whose collections include human remains, I feel compelled to add my thoughts about this topic.

Those of us in museum education are constantly emphasizing the importance of seeing the “real thing.”  Why do we want students to go to the art museum instead of just looking at slides?  Why do we want people to visit the zoo instead of just watching Animal Planet?  Why do we want children to visit Independence Hall instead of just reading about it in their history books?  Because the “real thing” has an impact that simply cannot be duplicated through another encounter or experience.  I hope that everyone on this list believes this, and it is why they have chosen to make museums their life’s work.

While there are issues that come up when the human body becomes the “real thing,” the educational value is the same, if not greater.  I first saw “Body Worlds” as a museum education graduate student with no formal training in anatomy or medicine.  I cannot tell you how much I learned by seeing the real human body for the first time, both in its whole and in parts.  I unknowingly spent two and a half hours in the exhibit, pouring over the exhibits and the labels.  The second visit I made to “Body Worlds” was four months after I had begun my work as the Museum Educator at the College of Physicians of Philadelphia’s Mütter Museum.  This time I was able to appreciate the exhibit in a whole new light, as someone with a bit of knowledge about anatomy and pathology.

The Mütter Museum has had human remains in its collections since its founding in 1858.  These collections were originally obtained for use in the education of doctors.  Today the museum is open to the public for the education of all, and I have the privilege of seeing the public encounter our collections on a daily basis.  While some come to the museum to gawk, they generally leave having learned something about themselves and their bodies, and have a greater appreciation of their own health.  This, to me, represents what is best about museums.

From what I have observed at other medical museums and from what I know from my work at the Mütter Museum, I can say that staff working with human remains collections treat them with the utmost respect and honor.  Our visitors must sense this as well; as we often get inquiries about body donation (we even have a living donor who gave us his hips when they had to be replaced.)  These people, and seemingly those who donated their bodies to “Body Worlds,” are frequently motivated by an interest in education and understanding.  One of our future donors has expressed that she wants her body to be of use “when she is done using it.”

I can certainly understand how exhibits displaying human remains might make some people uncomfortable, but I hope that they can understand the tremendous educational value of them as well.

Respectfully,

Laurel Weller

Laurel K. Weller
Museum Educator
Mütter Museum
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Phone:  215-563-3737 x203
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]