Certainly one way that local historical societies can build membership is by
encouraging gift memberships for community members who have moved away.
This is a way of continuing to keep in touch with their
hometown/county/locality.  Start by promoting gift memberships among your
current membership, and then throw it open to the community under the banner
of ³what better way to keep in touch with things happening at home?²  You
should have members from all over the country!

Good luck.

Claudia

--
Claudia J. Nicholson