Hello Maggie and friends,

To concur with prior posters, I’d like to say that this is not only doable but a great idea.  When working on the East Coast we had some tile roofs with hurricane damage.  The slates proved to be brittle but workable with care, just like your case.  And yes, they make good clocks, not to mention other fun mementoes!

With very thin slate, an effective antidote to breakage is a bit of epoxy and fiberglass backing, which can be mixed with a pinch of powdered stone for aesthetics/verismilitude.  Here in Utah there are neither slate roofs nor hurricanes, so I envy you previous posters!

Yours
Jeff.