I bought some slate but now I want to  drill a hole in it. How can I drill
slate?
Slate can be  drilled with a normal electric drill or better yet is to use a
drill  press. The drill press will drill the hole straight without it going
from  side to side. Use a masonry drill bit. This bit is used to drill stone,
brick and mortar. Always use a new sharp bit and plenty of water to keep  your
drill bit cool. Keep your slate wet all times, this makes it easier  to drill
and remember to clamp your slate down to the table or drilling  plate. This
way when you break through the opposite side the slate won't  spin, chip or slip
out. As with all slate and rock drilling, cutting or  chiseling, wear safety
glasses or goggles.
_http://www.fountainsnslate.com/faq#11_
(http://www.fountainsnslate.com/faq#11)

Best wishes, Barbara Hass, retired  librarian