I believe you should contact the institution.  In our case we have had several non-professional staff members prior to the current staff, and due to the volume of information out there it is difficult to catch all of the mistakes that exist.  Though the current staff has worked hard to change the blatant misinformation, we still have visitors point out mistakes every now and then and we are thankful for that.  I’m not sure what you have to lose if you do tell them.  They may disagree, explain, or change it.  In any case they will be aware of the problem.

Rachel Barnett

Collections Assistant

Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum

From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Emily Spallina
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 10:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] What to do when an exhibit seems to have false information

I recently came across an exhibition that has the narrative online and looking at that narrative it seems to be filled with incorrect information. Although it could be a problem with wording, the misinformation perpetuates damaging stereotypes to a particular group of people. I am not going to put the URL for the exhibit on here , but if you want it you can email me off the list at [log in to unmask].

My question is what do you do when you find this situation? Do you contact the museum to let them know how the exhibit is coming across? Do you request more information to try and figure out why they would put up what seems to be blatantly incorrect information?

--
Emily Spallina
Registrar