From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Rizzo, Mary
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 11:11 AM
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] Friends Group Collections Committee

Hi all. I'm new to this list, so I hope this issue hasn't been discussed extensively already (I searched the archives, but didn't find the kind of advice I'm looking for).

I'm the Chair of a new Collections Committee for the Board of a Friends' group of an 18th century house museum. Being somewhat new to the museum field and brand new to serving on a board, I'm looking for advice on what kinds of activities a Friends' Collections committee should be involved with. At our site, the collections are owned by the state and the only full-time employee is a curator who works for the state. I don't want to overstep my bounds, but I'd be interested in having the committee help with purchasing collection pieces, preservation (obviously limited by the knowledge and skill of members) and updating and maintaining the collections database. Personally, I'm most interested in helping with rotating collection pieces through the house and developing exhibits using the collection, but I'm not sure if this really is part of the Board's job. I know that each place works differently, but I'd love to hear perspectives on how a friends' collections committee can be a help to a museum.

Please respond either on or offlist. Thanks!

Mary