Dear Cristin,

I haven’t worked with any products by Lascar but I have seen the information online for the EL-USB-2 on the web and think that it looks like a viable product.  Several years ago I did a comparison of a number of loggers.  The document is available on the internet at the National Park Service Conserve-O-Gram site at

http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/conserveogram/03-03.pdf

Some of the products I reviewed I would definitely not recommend and others I would for specific purposes or needs.  There are several Hobo lines though Onset and, given their price and reliability, I have found them the excellent value for money and appropriate for general datalogging needs.   The company also offers very good support.  As a result they are widely used in the museum community and compatible with software like the Image Permanence Institute’s Climate Notebook program.

To combine this answer with another related posting – the uses for the Arten RH Thermohygrometer and a psychrometer are, obviously, different than a datalogger since neither of these ‘logs’ any readings.  The Artens are primarily geared to providing an accurate, cost-effect and sort of low-tech method of giving a spot check on temp and RH.  They are widely used in display cases as they are small and unobtrusive and do not need to be accessed frequently.  They will generally last forever as there is no battery or parts to break.  It is recommended that they be calibrated twice a year or at least once a year and calibration kits are available.

There are reasonably priced handheld digital thermohygrometers that can be used on the go but for pure accuracy and reliability you cannot beat a psychrometer.  The psychrometer is the only way to really ever gauge the accuracy of any other secondary environmental monitoring equipment such as the Arten thermhygrometer, hygrothermograph or logger.  You can’t go wrong when you are going back to the pure psychometrics and a wet and dry temperature reading.  This should be an essential piece of equipment to check the accuracy of any other monitoring equipment that you may have.  Then you can at least have confidence in anything else that you might find more user friendly for use in the field.

Feel free to contact me if you require more in depth information.  If you do purchase a Lascar I would be grateful to know your thoughts on the process as I field a lot of questions about loggers and like being up to date on what people are using.

Best,

Rachael Perkins Arenstein

Conservator

Art Preservation Services