In a message dated 11/1/2006 1:23:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
PodunkLander writes:

Oh Deb - I was writing/posting before I read this and my  thoughts are in
step with what you've written here. Also, an interesting issue  arose regarding
one of the justifications for the deaccession of the  material -as mentioned by
the original poster and other posts..about the  questionable historical
accuracy of the work.

It's difficult to comment on this without knowing more details...but it
seems this justification may disregard an individuals' interpretation, and  that
the work may be a 'rendition'. Also, that the 'historical accuracy could  not
be verified' would not be a substantial justification I would use when
considering deaccessioning something. Just because it can't be verified at  this
point in time doesn't mean that it couldn't be in the future...is what I  would
keep in mind. I also would not consider the fact that other museums have  the
same and/or similar materials in their collections as a deciding  factor.

I really don't mean to criticize the actions/factors that the museum  in
considered for the deaccesion to begin with, but all the  justifications that had
been mentioned in doing so, aren't one's that I would  consider. Therefore, I
can see where the volunteer may have thought the  same.

Pam

In a message dated 11/1/2006 9:34:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Dangit. My laptop went wiggy and sent the message before I was  finished.

On 11/1/06, Reine Hauser <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:

> Can you arrange for other volunteer duties for this  volunteer that do not
> permit him access to the trash, or other areas  that may be problematic?
> Such as staffing a booth at a community  fair or festivals outside the
museum
> itself, that promote the  institution, or something like that?

As the old saying goes, "one  man's trash...."

Personally, I think if you throw stuff away in the  trash, you have no
right to tell people not to take it. You have clearly  demonstrated
that you do not want said items, regardless of their value.  Putting
them into a trash bin to be dumped at a public dumpster is a  pretty
clear signal that the items are fair game. It is a far cry  from
putting them in a bin to be shredded or a burn bag for  classified
materials.

And I think legally, if the trash is on a  public street or if someone
has legal access to it (like a museum  volunteer who is allowed to go
"behind the scenes") you have no right to  restrict people from your
trash bins. If they were locked away or on your  property and someone
trespassed to get to it, that's a different story.  Or at least that is
what I have gathered from watching countless episodes  of Law & Order.
:)

Now donating them to another museum is a  little weird but if I was a
volunteer and not a museum professional and  saw some "art" tossed in a
trash bin behind a museum, I'd probably be  tempted to rescue them and
find them a good home. Thus I'd give the  volunteer the benefit of the
doubt and explain the museum policies to  him.

He did donate it to another museum instead of trying to hawk it  on
eBay so it seems like he was genuinely trying to find the art a  good
home and not trying to make a buck off of it. It also sounds like  the
museum in question was a little careless in tossing out  deaccessioned
materials. Perhaps next time, the curators could show the  volunteers
the materials and ask if anyone wants it before it is chucked  in the
bin or at least mangle the art ifacts enough so that people won't  want
to fish them out of the  trash.

deb

Pamela Silvestri, Volunteer Assistant Museum  Director
Northeast States Civilian Conservation Corps Museum
Shenipsit  State Forest Headquarters
166 Chestnut Hill Road
Stafford Springs,  Connecticut 06076
Telephone: (860) 684-3430