Ah the joys of volunteers! I’ve had some bizarre incidents where volunteers have decided to rearrange exhibits, “borrow” photos (framed, exhibited photos!), and change settings on HVAC and dehumidifiers to suit them. And each time I reprimand and undo their “help” they look at me like I’m the one who’s nuts!

This fellow DID break the law if he misrepresented the material to the other museum as having been approved by the museum board and director. You’d already explained the museum’s stance…and he STILL persisted, AND misrepresented the situation to the other institution. For that reason alone you should get rid of him – and I know that’s easier said than done.

My personal pet peeve is volunteers who go through the office/files. In our historic house there’s no good way to secure our office – other than a closed door and a sign labeling it as the Director’s Office. We NEVER have problems with visitors going in there, but the volunteers LOVE to snoop.

Becky Fitzgerald

This morning I was informed that one of our docents took material that we had deaccessioned and donated it to another museum. I have a copy of the donation acceptance form from the other museum and it lists our museum and museum director on the form. Neither our board nor our director had any knowledge about this, much less approved it. It's just such an absurd situation that I'm not sure what to make of it. The docent definitely did not have the authority to donate the materials to another organization on our museum's behalf. How does this affect both us and the other museum? Any thoughts on this?