My job duties are shifting again, and part of the proposed new duties include launching a publications program.  Though I have some publishing experience, it's very limited and certainly will only take me so far.  Most likely, anything we do will be a partnership with an existing press.  At this point, I am more concerned with some of the logisitical details (budget, contracts) than what we might publish (we all have lots of ideas--and I think those ideas will crystallize as we begin to talk to others).
Here are my very vague and very broad questions: how do I even begin to get started on this?  What are the kinds of questions I need to be asking the presses--and myself?  Are there any museum publication programs worth taking a look at (I'm more interested in history examples than art for this portion)?  What kind of resources are available for launching this kind of program?  Any articles that might help?  People I should try to talk to?
In a nutshell, I'm looking for "Starting a Museum Publication Program 101"  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa

Melissa Prycer
Curator of Education
 214-413-3671

Dallas Heritage Village at Old City Park
See what's new!  www.dallasheritagevillage.org