Hello, all.

Tried sending this to the museum ed listserv, and got a limited
response. Trying the "big dog" listserv now to see if I can garner more

Thanks for any help; here goes:

For part of our annual winter event in early December, our museum is
launching a public gingerbread house competition.

I have gathered a little information from another place doing this kind
of thing, but I'm sure there are lots of do's and don'ts specific to
this kind of program/exhibit.

So if anyone else does this kind of event and would be willing to share
any information--public and/or internal info and documentation (the
latter is what I'm really hankering for)--I'd greatly appreciate it.
Things like specifications for how participants make the houses, how you
take in the houses, how you display them, how you maintain them, how you
return them (if you do), how you judge them, do you offer them for sale
on a commission basis, etc.

Some general info about our competition:

* Competition theme will be "Architecture Around the World" based on
event theme of "Holidays Around the World" (we currently have the
Children Just Like Me exhibit).

* Open to the entire public with two divisions: amateur and professional

* Both divisions will have entry fees, with the pro division being more
costly

* "Professional" will be self-selecting (if someone is willing to pay
higher entrance fee, they can enter that category)

* Two day winter event will be the "opening" of the exhibit which will
run for 2-3 weeks (until the houses start falling down)

* Looking for a small start--projected for 10 amateur houses and 5
professional

* Gift certificate prizes will be given to winners in the amateur
division and free marketing (institution-based and periodical) will be
given to   the professional winners

* Looking to have a local "celebrity" chef/restaurant owner be the juror

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

tim

Tim Gaddie

Programs Manager, Minnetrista

1200 North Minnetrista Parkway

Muncie IN 47303-2925

765-213-3540, ext. 129 ~ 800-428-5887

Fax: 765-213-3537 ~ www.minnetrista.net <http://www.minnetrista.net>

Children's learning "... is dominated by wonder, and cursed be the
dullard who destroys wonder."  ~Alfred North Whitehead