***Course announcement***

MS206: Disaster Planning II: Writing a Disaster Preparedness Plan
Instructor: Terri Schindel
Dates: November 6 through December 15, 2006
Price: $395
Location: www.museumclasses.org

Are you ready for the unthinkable? A written disaster-preparedness plan is not only a good idea, it’s also a requirement for accreditation. Instructor Terri Schindel reviews and provides input as participants in Disaster Planning II write plans that outline the procedures to follow in various emergencies. The completed plan prepares museums physically and mentally to handle emergencies that can harm vulnerable and irreplaceable collections. The course is scheduled so you will complete a disaster-preparedness and response plan before hurricane, tornado, fire and flood seasons.

Logistics
Participants in Disaster Planning II work on their own schedules and interact through forums and scheduled online chats. Instructor Terri Schindel is available at scheduled times for email support. Materials include online readings, handouts and lecture notes, projects and links to relevant web sites. The course is limited to 20 participants.

Disaster Planning II lasts six weeks. Please sign up at www.museumclasses.org and pay at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.  If you have trouble with either, please contact Helen Alten at [log in to unmask].

Required Textbook:
Disaster Planning II uses the required textbook Steal This Handbook! A Template for Creating a Museum’s Emergency Preparedness Plan, which is available for purchase at http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html.

Student Comments:
We had focused too exclusively on the initial response and on salvage, which really left large holes that were not addressed at all.  MS 206 participant

Terri was good at asking little questions about procedures that I had either overlooked or had not considered, and this got me moving in new directions.”  MS 206 participant

To write the DPRP, you need to set aside a significant amount of time and this class forced me to do that so I completed most of the plan.  Hooray! MS 206 participant

A great motivator to get me to work on the DPRP. I really appreciate Terri’s time, knowledge, and flexibility. MS 206 participant

The Instructor:
Terri Schindel
graduated from the Courtauld Art Institute, University of London with a concentration in textile conservation. She has assisted small and medium sized museums in writing disaster plans for more than a decade and helped develop national standards for disaster-preparedness materials. Ms. Schindel specializes in collection care and preventive conservation and works regularly with small, rural and tribal museums.