Linda,

Whether you use the original map or a copy depends on your institution's mission, the reason for the display, and the condition of your map. Certainly there is always a risk in exhibiting original manuscripts and ephemera. We often make the decision to use originals over copies for varied reasons.    Paper conservators should be able to give you advice about how to best display the map without damaging it.

We currently have a large early 19th century wall map, approx 3' x 4', displayed in a gallery using its intact hanger that is attached directly to the map. The map is mounted on a wall using short extenders to keep it from full contact with the wall.  We have made an attempt to relieve the tension on the rod which is attached along the upper edge of the map - by adding some support under the rod that runs along the bottom edge of the map. We have also mounted a piece of plexiglass that is larger than the map in front of the hanging piece to protect the map from being touched. This has worked well - and people do appreciate seeing the "real thing."

You might also consider flat display under a plexi bonnet.

Feel free to contact me off-list if we can help with a better description of our display.

Best,

Sharon Duane Koomler
Director of the Museum
Shaker Museum and Library