The impression I received from the original Kinko's Goth employee post was
that poor service and a disrespectful manner were attributed to a poor work
ethic and habits in general. The person's appearance was of little  consequence,
but used to relate to an attitude that was discourteous  along with the less
than adequate service. Quite the adverse of what is expected  from someone in
customer service.

Low pay is not a justification for poor service. A low wage worker who is
not working at 100% most times is a person who has a poor work ethic. We all
have bad days and times when we're not as productive, etc., as usual  but the
Kinko's employee exhibited several that can't be attributed to  having just a
bad day. The things she was doing were more  indicative of a pattern of
behaviors and attitudes, etc.

I also don't believe it is fair to compare the judgement of one's  adornments
and dress with that of someone's skin color in the very  least.  No person is
born with piercings and tattoos.

I for one, associate piercings and tattoos with pain. That's what I
experience when I see these. I did not even get my ears pierced until I was 27
(didn't even own a pair of high heels until I was 20). Personally, I'm a big fan  of
pain avoidance. But believe it or not, I did go Goth in  1981. Goths have
been around for quite some time and alternative  appearances in general and
issues related to them are hardly anything new. If  you choose to change your
natural appearance, you shouldn't expect others to be  forced to like how you look,
expect it to be pleasing to them, not distracting  and along with
that....some people are naturally not going to be so accepting  and non-judgmental.

We do have every 'right' to judge people because it is innate. Our initial
perceptions are based on our senses and knowledge base after which in time  we
can learn to substantiate this, or change it. It was obvious in the original
post that it was not the employees' manner of dress alone or at all even that
accounted for the poor service. It was the attitude, the gum chewing, the
indifference, lack of respect -the poor quality of customer service in  general.

I was goth for only a day back in 1981 for a show I was in. As with all
shows I performed in - I dedicated a day to spend out in public 'in character'.
For my goth character, I used public transportation and visited two  pubs in he
city. These puns were not places where punk/goth people  would frequent. At
the 1st place, I acted differently according to the fact that  I looked
different. I didn't make any new friends there. At the 2nd pub (just  two doors down)
I, still in costume, acted like myself. I had more people being  friendly
towards me there.

When I look at the goth photo of myself...my hair with one side longer than
the other, heavy make-up, black lip liner and a chainlink fence around my neck
 (I'm exaggerating, of course it was just a bold, gold chain) I can't
imagine, as  much as I liked it, how I may have kept up that appearance to the
present  day.

I can only imagine what it would have been like to have taken the time and
expense with the make-up and hair for all those years. Especially seeing that
my  present day job is outdoorsy...and I love the fact that I don't have to
wear  make-up and fuss with my hair. When I look at that photo of me, I can't
picture  myself looking like that and doing what I'm doing today.

BTW the 1st tattoo I ever saw on a woman was in the late 70's...a woman in
her 60's who had been a flapper -a red heart with an arrow through it on her
calf. I thought it was the coolest thing. I loved seeing tattoos on people
until  I learned of how they were done (ouch).

Since I mentioned Flappers...among themselves and for non-flappers alike,
certain attitudes and behaviors went along with being a flapper. If you didn't
drink, smoke, dance, etc., but dressed like a flapper...you weren't really  a
flapper. Women didn't just dress like a flapper and expect to not be  treated
as a flapper.

Let's be real here. Changing one's appearance, looking  differently by
choice, etc., is likely to evoke a response (either positive or  negative). Some
people like negative attention too. And we know that  alternative appearance is
more apt to be related to alternative culture. If that  alternative culture has
some negative aspects associated with it -  of course people are going to
make judgements. If you choose to alter your  appearance to conform to a
particular culture, you are going to be associated  with it unless your behavior,
etc., shows/proves otherwise.

Pam

In a message dated 10/3/2006 1:07:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,