I just happened to read a reference to men's temperance societies here in
Frederick, Md. It is from a Master's Thesis by Diane Shaw Wasch entitled
"City Building in Frederick, Maryland, 1810-1860" deposited in our reference
library. I found the reference humorous so I marked the page (just in case
you might think I sit around memorizing this kind of stuff).  Here it is:

"The temperance movement affected the development of the fire companies and
their houses. Fire companies merged with temperate, mutual aid societies,
such as the Sons of Temperance and Odd Fellows, and many members pledged
sobriety. The success of the societies, however was spotty. In 1839, the
Independents [Independent Hose Company] were obliged to appoint a
hall-keeper to 'keep the engine-house in proper condition and to enforce
order therein, ejecting drunken and disorderly persons.'"

I have also seen a lithograph from this same period entitled Sons of
Temperance, it was probably a Currier but I don't remember for sure.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf, Curator

Historical Society of Frederick County

24 East Church Street

Frederick, Md. 21701