  From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Ken Mark
  Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 9:16 AM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Deaccession help

  I am the director of a new museum.  We have 150+ taxidermied animals that
were parts of numerous collections.  We hold title to all of them and need
to deaccession these animals. They do not fit the mission of our museum and
the storage costs are eating us alive.

  Can anyone help with two questions:
        1.  We want to sell these - Does anyone have suggestions for auction
houses or liquidators we could contact?

        2.  How does one come up with a price for each animal?  Some are
CITIES mammals with all of the paper work, etc.  We have the appraised
values from when they were given to the museum.  Is this what we use for a
price?  I need advice so as to get a fair price for the museum and to be
fair to the buyer.

  Thanks to all who may be able to help with this question.

  Ken

  Kenneth D. Mark
  Director of the Oakes Museum

  Messiah College