I work in the Collections Department of two different museums, and both use
PastPerfect for their Collections database as well as for their Reference
Library holdings.

In terms of transfer of ownership for donated materials, both institutions
have a signed Deed of Gift for the items.  If it is part of a larger
donation, we denote which items are being donated specifically for the
reference library.  Donated materials are not accessioned, and treated more
like museum property.  We try to keep our records as complete as possible,
so we will keep track of who the source is, or if the material was purchased
by the museum.

As it's turned out, both museum use the Library of Congress numbering
system, and the book's LC number becomes its Object Number in PastPerfect.

Hope this is helpful.  Let me know if you need any further information.

Lee Goodan

Registrar

Gaston County Museum