Although it wasn’t a museum, the art center where I worked had two mascots.  Art Ducko was, as expected, a giant duck with green and blue feathers.  The least senior staff member was generally tasked with wearing the hot, smelly costume on open house days and the annual art fair.  Art Ducko was “retired” in about 1991 when the costume fell apart.  Then, during major building projects in 1993-96 and again in 2004-05, we created a character called “Art” derived from an element in the institution’s logo.  Art, who only existed graphically, appeared on signage updating visitors on the progress of the construction, highlighting the activities that week and providing information such as alternate ways to enter the building if necessary.  Since I left I heard that Art was being considered to become a costumed character but I don’t know if that every happened.  He was pretty cute.

Julia Muney Moore

Public Art Administrator

Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN

(317) 875-5500 x230

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: