The topic of photo publication or use fees comes up periodically on this list, but I have not seen this specific question addressed in the archives.

My museum (and indeed most museums) have fee schedules for the publication of their images in books that are based on one time use.  Price breaks or fee waivers are often given for non-profits or small print runs or scholarly publications, with higher fees for high print runs and commercial products.

Recently we have been receiving requests from large commercial children’s textbook publishers asking for rights like the list outlined below.  They are all pretty similar to the list below, so this seems to be standard policy now for the rights a lot of the big textbook publishers request.  We do not normally grant derivative rights, and will cross that off their list.

Anyway, I was wondering if other museums have received requests like these, and what fee per image you would charge.  We want to charge more than the standard commercial one time use fee, and are trying to come up with a fair and reasonable bump up in fee.  The images they will be publishing are images of collections artifacts and are on copyright.

Many thanks for any input or thoughts on this matter that you can provide.

Felicia Pickering

Rights requested:
Non-exclusive North American English language distribution, including DODDS military schools
Spanish language rights
Planned sales over 250,000
Interactive Student/Teacher CD-ROMs, 2500 units
Online rights - photos are watermarked and embedded at 72ppi, non-printable
Derivative: Three possibilities: Split of one product into two volumes; Rearrangement of material to accommodate specific teaching progression - referring to state specific but not limited to that; Section pulled out of product and used in accompanying product in same product line
Minor revisions granted for six years (minor revisions defined as less than 10% change in photo content from to original product), or until a major revision, whichever comes first.