Dear Job Seeker,

I am sorry for the difficulty you have had finding a museum position. It
took a few years for me to find a paid, full-time museum position, so I can
appreciate your frustration. Two things spring to mind about your
predicament. One deals with not stating your age and the other deals with
the general difficulty finding a museum position for anyone.

I would caution you from changing or withholding any part of your
applications. I understand why you are doing it, but eventually the truth
will come out in an interview. I was tired of being told I was overqualified
for employment - ANY employment - so I removed my graduate degrees from my
resume. I did find a job in the corporate world and was bored in 2 weeks.
Ultimately I was overqualified for the job, and it wasn't a good fit. Still,
I did it because I needed a job. Just thought you should bear that in mind.

I think that the difficulty faced by well-trained applicants for museum work
stems from the overwhelming number of students who complete graduate
programs in museums studies and a great number of those who have followed
particular lines of research (art history, archaeology etc.) who seek to
apply it in a museum context. Put simply, there are too many people wanting
to work in a museum than there are vacancies.  Surely the AAM has
investigated this?

As it happens for me, I found a great job in Texas, but had to leave friends
and family in Boston to get it. Being open to different locations can
increase your chances in finding a job.

Good luck to all of you who seek to work in this field.

Sincerely,

Ware Petznick

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.

McFaddin-Ward House

Curator of Collections

725 Third St.

Beaumont, TX 77701

www.mcfaddin-ward.org

409.832.1906 p

409.832.3483 f

The McFaddin-Ward House is currently showing the exhibit "Moving In," which
illustrates how the McFaddins first moved in to their new home at 1906
McFaddin Avenue in January 1907. Call 409-832-2134 for tour information.