From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Julia Moore
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: Discussion Concerning Potential Age Discrimination in Museum Hiring

I am not making excuses, because age discrimination is unconscionable, but seeing as how museum budgets are very, very tight, some hirers might see the resume of an older, experienced person and assume that the individual will want more money than the museum is willing or able to pay, resulting in good candidates not even being interviewed.  I have also seen this happen when the museum will interview many, but will hire a less experienced person with good potential (which often translates to the applicant being a young person) over a clearly better-qualified individual because they cannot afford to meet the salary expectations of the latter.  These may be faulty assumptions, but whose responsibility is it to straighten them out?  Should the applicant indicate that s/he would be willing to take a lower salary just to get the job?  Or should the hirer simply offer the salary to the applicant and let the applicant decide if it’s right for them?  So many factors are in play.

Whatever the dynamic, I do not believe that museums consciously think, as some businesses might, that hiring an older person will not be worth their while in terms of the amount of time that person will be able to spend on the job.  These days people job-hop all the time, and in fact the younger workers are MORE likely to do so than older workers.  So that argument of preferring a younger person who will stay with the museum and increase their value to the organization doesn’t hold water.

Julia Muney Moore

Public Art Administrator

Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN

(317) 875-5500 x230