One of my numerous hobbies is blacksmithing and I use coal on a regular basis.  One thing I try to do is remove the coal from any metal surface as soon as I am done.  As was previously noted, it will severely accelerate the corrosion process.  I would shy away from using coal in an environment where you have original artifacts.  Also remember that coal contains volatile chemicals that may out gas - a worry I would be more concerned about than dust.

I wouldn't wash the coal either as it will only add water to the coal, which when put in contact with the metal will cause corrosion.  Coal absorbs water readily.

Suggestion for fake coal:  Make a pile of coal (or rocks) to the shape of your intended pile.  Soak it with diluted white glue that has been "wetted" with detergent.  Then make a rubber mold of it.  You could then cast using your material of choice.  This way you could make it easier to clean, weigh less, and by choosing a suitable material, safer for the exhibit.

Paul Fritz

Randy Hees wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">We simply use real coal in the scuttles near our fireplaces.  We purchased it from a local dealer (last time I checked it was about $14.00 a 50 lb bag for what they call fire place coal (Blacksmith coal, also offered is much smaller pieces) Both options are Biturnimus.

Historically there would have been many more options, including anticite, one brand of which was painted blue, and a brand identification.

Decent fireplace coal is is pretty stable, not commonly greasy (it shouldn't be).  We even hand it around to the school groups, discussing heating the house with a "rock that burns".  We do wash the coal annually to get rid of the dust (plain water).

Randy Hees
Patterson House at Ardenwood Farm
Fremont, CA

--
Paul C. Fritz
Pamplin Historical Park & the National Museum of the Civil War Soldier