I, too, am glad that this is a topic today .. especially since it is the
Labor Day weekend.  Many Americans have forgotten, probably because of
intentional lack of reminder from our society/government, that this day is
actually about LABOR -- the people who work.

What makes us great is being able to interpret ourselves, as museum
professionals.  It is very difficult to examine anything with critical
distance when we are inside it.

I felt scared about two things in the original post.  First the issue of
salary, and second, the comment that younger museum professionals are more
"malleable."

Also, I will put it right out in front that I will turn 29 next month.

Salary:  The longer we, as a group, continue to accept low salaries, the
longer this will be reflected in salary surveys and the longer the same sad
pay rate will be offered to us as applicants.  We, alone, are empowered to
demand more money, better benefits and a living wage.  Historically, women
have been the employees at historic sites, women who's husbands had good
jobs .. and the rest of the stereotype. The field really became
"professional" at a time when museum boards were made up of white community
leaders with money, the same type of people who would have bought into and
supported that stereotype of the income double standard.  This is an
historic problem, and like the field in general, some of us can fall into
the trap of living in the past, rather than just interpreting it.

Younger professionals are malleable:  OOOOOOHHHH! I am so irritated by that.
It really sends me right back to being a teenager and thinking "I will not
be like you, so don't even try to make me!"  I have encountered this as well
along my job application, internship, volunteer process.  This is also a
plague of the field, particularly of history museum, which is my
experience -- I don't know what the art people are doing.  I have
encountered the same problem as listed above -- operating in the past
instead of interpreting the past.  Some insituttions have a problem with the
boundary between thier mission and the ways they carry out that mission.

For argument's sake, I like to work with the generalization that field
became professionalized in the 1970s with bi-centennial fever.  So right
now, about 30 years later, the whole field is turning over and a lot of
institutions are suffering from founders syndrome -- board and staff alike.
Many institutions I have been to, consulted at, or whose staff I have
encountered at conferences, are the founders of their institutions and bless
their souls, did a good job at the time.  However, they need to LET GO!  I
think trying to mold new employees into the practices and mindsets -- the
traditions -- of current staff and museum programming/ways of doing things,
prevents the institution from growing.  We preserve and interpret the past,
not the staff or the institution -- these things must grow and change for
the institution to survive. Sometimes old staff and board, particularly
founders, become like millstones around the necks of their institutions and
eventually help them drown rather that stay afloat, not to mention progress
forward.

Frankly, I would turn down any job flat if I got even the slightest whiff
that I was expected to be a "good soldier."  Sometimes, when institutions
don't want to hire people new to the field, or young people with new ideas,
they are truly afraid that they will have to change, or that they might have
to admit that there are better ways of doing things than what they are
accustomed to.  Apple-cart tippers, like myself, are sometimes unwelcome in
more traditional institutions.  However, I have discovered that I can be
proud of my point of view and succeed in the right place.

Also, although another topic entirely, not only is the museum field flooded
with newly graduating professionals, it is also flooded with more museums
than our government insitutions, granting agencies, foundations, donors,
members and visitors could ever support!

Good luck to all who are new to the field, and I wish courage and
willingness to change to everyone (including myself) who is already in it!

Erin.
Erin Elizabeth Crissman
Curator
Historic Cherry Hill