From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of PELBE
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 3:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Film screenings at museums

I know that this topic has come up on the list before, but I did not
have much luck searching the archives. Staff members at our museum are
interested in showing films or possibly doing a film series at the
museum. I am pretty sure that even though we would not charge admission
to the showing or to the museum in general that we still need to get
some sort of performance licensing. I think some of our staff are under
the impression that if, say, we show a film in conjunction with a
scheduled tour group (and don't advertise the showing), that we don't
need to worry about licensing. In her words, "What's the difference
between that and watching it at home [with a group]." Some
clarification, please.

Thanks!

Pamela Elbe

Collections Manager and Archivist

National Museum of American Jewish Military History

1811 R Street NW

Washington, DC  20009

http://www.nmajmh.org <http://www.nmajmh.org/>

Subscriber Information:

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Are you eager for some family entertainment? Then check out our summer OMNIMAX duo. BEAVERS explores the remarkable life and habitat of one of nature's greatest engineers. The film follows the story of a family of beavers as they grow, play, build and transform the world around them. Also playing, GREECE: SECRETS OF THE PAST is a sweeping journey back to the Bronze and Golden Ages of ancient Greece. This is Classic OMNIMAX. For information, tickets or to become a member of Cincinnati Museum Center, call (513) 287-7000, (800) 733-2077 or visit www.cincymuseum.org.