You still need to obtain a license to show a film in a public setting.  The nature of the license changes depending on whether the showing is publicized, whether separate admission is charged, and whether it is open to the general public versus a restricted audience such as group tours or members,  but some kind of license is still needed to show a film in a public institution.  This is why there are disclaimers at the beginning of all film DVDs stating that they are for home use only.

Ann Mintz

----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">PELBE
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:59 PM
Subject: Film screenings at museums

I know that this topic has come up on the list before, but I did not have much luck searching the archives. Staff members at our museum are interested in showing films or possibly doing a film series at the museum. I am pretty sure that even though we would not charge admission to the showing or to the museum in general that we still need to get some sort of performance licensing. I think some of our staff are under the impression that if, say, we show a film in conjunction with a scheduled tour group (and don’t advertise the showing), that we don’t need to worry about licensing. In her words, “What’s the difference between that and watching it at home [with a group].” Some clarification, please.

Thanks!

Pamela Elbe

Collections Manager and Archivist

National Museum of American Jewish Military History

1811 R Street NW

Washington, DC  20009

http://www.nmajmh.org

Checked by AVG Free Edition.