From: Museum discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Patti Davis-Perkins
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MUSEUM-L] data entry format question

A question from a colleague.  Subject matter is irrelevant.  Is there a "rule" that exists for this type of data entry situation.

I'm working right now on a project where I have to copy and paste some information in the Narrative field. These are the notes from "John Doe" and in his text, I have paragraphs. I need to show where the paragraph ends and starts without having to do "enter". So I put a lot of spaces to show where the paragraph breaks. I never count how many spaces I make, as long as I can see where it breaks, then I though I was fine.

So today, I have been told that we should only put one or two spaces, but I explained that it would not show the paragraph breaks. Then, I have been told to make the "/", but sometime I already have "/" in my text so it would be confusing.

My question is, how do you do your data entry in a Notes field to show where the paragraph breaks? Should we set a rule for all the notes fields?

Thanks for your advise!

Patti

Patricia Davis-Perkins | Documentaliste, Multimédia | Musée canadien des civilisations | 100, rue Laurier, C.P. 3100, succursale B, Gatineau (Québec), J8X 4H2 | 1.819.776.8456 |  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

Patricia Davis-Perkins | Multimedia Documentalist | Canadian Museum of Civilization | 100 Laurier Street, P.O. Box 3100, Station B, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada, J8X 4H2 | 1.819.776.8456 |  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

If you decide to leave Museum-L, please send a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff Museum-L" (without the quotes). ========================================================= Important Subscriber Information: